Our Profession

CYC Education and Training

Child and Youth Care Practitioners are graduates of a College or University Child and Youth Care program. Once a person has successfully completed their education in this field, they are eligible for Full Certification with the OACYC. This certification identifies the member’s commitment to a higher standard of practice and accountability to those they are working with.

  • Most have a college diploma (Child and Youth Worker, or prior to 1987, Child Care Worker diploma), with about 1500 hours of field work.
  • Some have related diplomas (Corrections, Early Childhood, Behavioral Science, Social Services, etc.) or degrees with CYC experience.
  • Many have degrees in Child and Youth Care (Ryerson University, University of Victoria, Humber College) or a CCW/CYW diploma with a degree in related fields (psychology, sociology, social work, family studies, etc.).
  • Some have advanced degrees in such studies as education, criminology, psychology, social work, child and youth administration, etc.
The Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities sets the Child and Youth Care Program Standards. To find out more information about CYC College and University Programs
in the Province of Ontario, please contact the following schools:


Algonquin College:
(613) 727-4723 ext. 5170 
Ottawa, ON
Vicki Grisim
Cambrian College:
(705) 566-8101 ext. 7510
Sudbury, ON
Jennifer Cawley Caruso
Centennial College:
(416) 289-5000 ext. 2221
Scarborough, ON
Paul Iacovoni
Confederation College:
(807) 475-6232
Thunder Bay
Michelle Kostick
Durham College:
(905) 721-2000 ext. 2870 
Oshawa, ON
Chris Harris
Fanshawe College:
(519) 452-4430 ext. 4921
London Campus: Cherie Hall
(519) 421-0144 ext. 229 Woodstock Campus: Steve Crema
George Brown College:
(416) 415-5000 ext. 2309 
Toronto, ON
Anne Black
Georgian College:
(705) 325-2740 ext. 3048
Orillia, ON
Dr. Howard Bloom
Humber College:
(416) 675-6622 ext. 79270
Toronto, ON
Katherine Sloss
Lambton College:
(519) 542-7751 ext. 3458
Sarnia, ON
Mary McHenry
Loyalist College:
(613) 969-1913  
Bellville, ON
Lisa Shunock
Mohawk College:
(905) 575-2314
Fennell Campus: Sue Nadwodny
(519) 756-8228 ext. 5734 Brantford Campus: Nancy Brown
Niagara College:
(905) 735-2211, ext. 7497
Niagara Falls, ON
Walter Goffin
Northern College:
(705) 235-3211 ext: 2284
Joanne Hagger-Perritt
Sir Sandford Flemming:
(705) 749-5530 ext. 1872
Heather Sago
St. Clair College:
(519) 972-2727 ext. 4209
Windsor Campus: Lynne Sibley
(519) 354-9100 ext. 3320 Chatham Campus: Joy Kemble
St. Lawrence College:
(613) 544-5400 ext. 1607
Kingston Campus:Tammy Kerr
(613) 345-0660 ext. 3140  Brockville Campus: Graeme Aubert
Sault College:
(705) 759-2554 ext. 2439
Sault St. Marie, ON
Sandy MacDonald
sandy.macdonald@ saultcollege.ca
Seneca College:
(416) 491-5050 ext. 5336
Toronto, ON
Justin Boudreau
Sheridan College:
(905) 845-9430 ext. 5442
Brampton, ON
Julie Jagllwitz
Ryerson University:
(416) 979-5000 ext. 4594
Toronto, ON
Sheldon Reinsilber 
University of Victoria:
Victoria, BC
Vicki Ziegler or Kathy Harrison
vziegler@uvic.ca or kharriso@uvic.ca


In addition, University of Guelph-Humber offers part-time degree completion program in Family and Community Social Services. This program is for full-time working professionals who already have a diploma (SSW, DSW or CYW) and three years of full-time work experience, and are looking to earn their degree on a part-time basis. The classes are a mixture of online and in-class sessions that would take place on our campus in Toronto. This program is suitable for the professional who would like to stay working full-time in order to complete their degree. More information on the program can be found here: https://www.guelphhumber.ca/fcss-dc.